Welcome to Friends of Lovett Memorial Library!
The mission of the Friends of Lovett Memorial Library is to assist the library’s staff in delivering library services to the Lovett community, to support Lovett and the Free Library of Philadelphia system of which it is a branch in appeals to governmental and non-governmental entities, and to advocate for Mt. Airy’s branch within the Free Library system.
Opening on March 12, 1885, as the Mt. Airy Free Library, on its second birthday the library moved into the original building at Germantown Avenue and Sedgwick Street erected and endowed by Charlotte Lovett Bostwick as a memorial to her brother Thomas Robert Lovett, and which is now used as the library’s meeting room. The Lovett Memorial Library became affiliated with the Free Library of Philadelphia on October 18, 1924, and the present main section was dedicated on September 25, 1961.
On March 13, 1982, Mt.Airy resident & neighborhood leader Naomi Pryluck (right) convened the initial meeting of the Friends of Lovett Memorial Library. For over three decades the Friends have provided funds for equipment purchases, sponsored programs for children and adults, dedicated volunteer hours to the library and its grounds, and joined with library Friends from across the city in working for improved library services.